4.22.2012

30 Days of Wedding Memories: Engagement



One night, back in December of 2010, Kevin and I were laying in his room as we often did. As we laid there comfortably talking, Kevin asked me a question. He said "Sara, how much do you like me?" As I often joked around, I opened my arms up real big and said "This much". He rolled over, looked at me, grinned, and said "Well now do you like me or do you love me?". I didn't know what to say. There was no doubt in my mind that I loved him but I didn't want to be the first to say it. But being on the spot, I had no choice. I looked him straight in the eye and told him I loved him. Rather than saying it back, he said, "well do you love me enough to marry me one day?" I think I could have screamed the answer yes but instead I said "yeah" all nonchalantly. Not saying a word, he rolled back over as if nothing had been said. Here I am laying there thinking to myself that I should have lied and said "no, I like you" But a few shorts moments later, he rolled back over, looked me in the eye, and said... "Well, I love you too"... From that day on, I knew I was going to spend the rest of my life with Kevin.

In January 2011, we went to look at engagement rings and I gave Kevin a few ideas of what I wanted. In February, he and his best friend, Brian Loye, took off to Raleigh one day to buy me one. I won't forget that day. The night before Kevin had went to UNCG's Campus Crusades with me and it was really late when we got out so I tried to get him to just stay at my apartment but he insisted that he had to go home. He kept saying he had to do some stuff in the morning and he refused to tell me what he was doing the next day and that was very unlike him. The next day he would message me but it would take him an hour to respond. I couldn't figure out what he was doing. That is until he called me and I heard his friend in the background. I knew he was looking at rings because Brian told him he'd go with him when he got ready to buy me one. So the cat was out of the bag so to speak. Because Kevin can't keep a secret from me, he finally confessed to me three days later that he'd purchased my ring. However, I was informed I had to wait to get it.

As time moved on, I began to go on and plan our wedding even though I didn't have my ring. I wasn't sure when I'd get it so I wanted to go on and begin planning so I could book the vendors I wanted without worrying about them already being booked by the time I got my ring since most things book a year in advance. We chose our wedding date and when people would joke around and say, "when are you two getting married?" We'd smile and say "May 21, 2011". The person's next question was always, "You're engaged?!" Then we'd explain that not technically. Kevin had my ring but he hadn't asked yet.

But he finally did....

On Saturday, May 22nd, Kevin and I had a busy day. We went to look at two houses in the morning,  went to his cousin's birthday party, then we were going to the Barn and Dinner Theater for dinner and a show. After the show, Kevin asked me where I'd like to go. I asked him to take me to my apartment so I could get something before we headed home.

We went in and I got what I needed. As I tried to leave my bedroom, Kevin stopped me at the door and wrapped his arms around me. He asked me if I had had a good time that night. I told him I had. He then asked me if I loved him. I said "DUHHHH!". Then he said, "well, do you love me enough to marry me?" I grinned and said yes and asked him the same. He told me to hold on and he'd tell me. As I waited, he pulled a box out of his pocket, got down on one knee, opened it, and asked me to marry him (: It couldn't have been more perfect. It was at my apartment, the place where our friendship and relationship had grown, and it was simple and flirty, just like our original conversation about getting married.

Here is my beautiful engagement ring!





Here's a picture of us right after he asked the BIG question :)

1 comment:

Hearing from you ladies always make my day, so please let me know you stopped by!