Good morning, ladies! I'm excited to be sharing this DIY planter box that I built for our dining room about a month or so ago. For the last year or so, I've been eyeing these babies on Pinterest. There are endless options to style and decorate planter boxes for every season of the year and all the possibilities make me giddy. If you don't believe me, head on over to Pinterest and check them out for yourself.
When Kevin and I started redecorating our dining room and I realized our new chairs were going to be about five inches shorter than our old ones, I knew I was going to need a shorter table centerpiece and a planter box fit the bill. After doing endless searches to find one, I finally found several options I liked on ETSY but at $50+ I just never could quite pull the trigger on purchasing one. And then one day, I had an idea... why not just make one? So after coming across several tutorials, I headed to Lowes with my Dad and got all the necessary materials. And you know what... it didn't even cost me $20!
1- 1 x 6 x 6 whitewood board
1- 2 x 4 stud
1 small bottle of Titebond wood glue
1 8 oz. can of Mimwax wood stain
1 sponge craft brush
Cut List (Note: I had Lowes cut my wood when I bought it)
1 x 6 x 6 cut in half to make 2- 36" pieces
2 x 4 stud cut at 36" and 2 pieces cut at 3.75"
I'm one of those people who has to get started on a project right away once I have all the supplies, so after getting home at 9pm on a work night, I headed out to the garage to start my project.
The first thing I did was spread out the wood on some old cardboard and start staining the pieces using a sponge craft brush. I ended up using 3 coats of stain and painted each coat about 20 minutes apart.
After having the stain sit overnight, I headed out to the garage at 6am the next morning and started assembling the wood. All I did was lay the 2 x 4 stud cut into a 36 inch piece on the bottom to be my base and then stood my 1 x 6 boards cut at 36" on both sides of the stud. Once I knew their lengths would add up, I lined the sides of the stud with wood glue and placed the boards back next to it. In order to keep them tight and secure, I placed objects on both sides of the 1 x 6 boards to help them stand up. When this step was done, I took the 3.75" pieces and dropped them into the ends. I lined them with wood glue as well so they'd attach to the edges of the 1 x 6 boards.
By the time I got home from work that afternoon, the glue had completely dried and I sat this baby on the table and admired it for a good hour (; For the spring, I decorated it with some Fresh Picked Hydrangeas from Hobby Lobby!
Overall this was a super easy project and I'm in the process of making a few more of these babies for some friends. So go try it out. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!