6.08.2012

We interrupt this blogging absence...

Hi ladies, I have not forgotten you all! It's been a crazy month! There have been so many times that I have sat down, pulled my computer up, opened up a blog page, and had no idea how or where to start. I wouldn't call it writer's block, I'd just call it life. It's as simple as that. In the last month, our family has been rocked back and forth with all sorts of life events. Some of those life events have been happy, some scary, and some downright sad. So let me fill you in on what's been going on in the Holt's lives in the last month.


It all started back on Monday, May 7. Like every Monday night, Kevin had a ball game. That afternoon I was coming down with a migraine so I told Kevin that I'd drive separate from him to his ball game so that when the game was over, I could head on home and he could hang around and watch the games going on after he played. So when his game ended, I gave him a kiss and hug and headed home. Around 9:30pm, Kevin still hadn't come home so I sent him a text telling him I was going to bed and I'd see him in the morning. About ten minutes later, my phone rang. It was laying on the floor so I rolled over and checked the caller id to see that it was my husband. Figuring he was calling to tell me he was on his way home, I ignored the call and rolled back over. A few short moments later my phone rang again. Like I did before, I rolled over and saw my husband's handsome face on the caller id. I started to ignore the call again but then I had a thought that my husband might possibly be stranded at the field. He often gives his car keys to his cousin to keep in his bat bag for him and sometimes his cousin forgets and leaves the field with them. It's happened before so I decided to give in, get up and answer his call in case I needed to go get him and take him to Daniel's to get his keys. I answered with a weak "hey" as my head was pounding at this point only to get a reply of "Babe, I've been in a wreck". My headache completely forgotten, I jumped straight up and said, "What?! Are you ok?". My husband, being the casual and calm person he is says, "I'm ok but I need you to come up here!". Knowing my husband and how he'll sugarcoat stuff so I don't worry, I began to panic. A million thoughts were running through my head. I asked him where he was and told him I'd be right there. With tears streaming down my face, I rushed out the door in my pajamas and headed to where he was waiting! When I arrived, I found his poor battered Mustang sitting on the side of the road but my husband wasn't in it. As I started to look around, I saw him standing near another vehicle talking with a guy. Seeing him standing there with no cuts or bruises, my heart weakened and the tears came again. I sent up a quick prayer in thanks to God and ran to my husband giving him the biggest hug I could muster. Unfortunately, the whole side of his car was totaled. In the end, the insurance company ended up fixing Kevin's Mustang which was a total shock to us considering the damage was almost two times more than the car was worth. However, it was a relief because having just bought my Lexus and paid off Kevin's Corvette, we didn't really want to go fork out another 40k to purchase a new vehicle at this point. But the fact that they fixed his car was an answer to prayer and it also did us a favor. Kevin has had the car since high school and refuses to get rid of it because there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it's great for him to drive back and forth to work. However, it truly needed a new paint job because the red paint had seriously faded over time. But having had to repair half the car, the insurance company repainted it which saved us a ton of money in the end. So thanks to God, something good came out of it! (Oh and btw, the accident wasn't my husband's fault. An older gentleman ran a stop sign! Just realized I didn't put that in there!)


The following Sunday, as I was waiting for the church service to begin, I received a text message from Kevin's mom saying that Kevin's aunt had passed away. I couldn't believe it. Kevin's aunt Beverly had been placed in the hospital a month or so before and had been given a short time to live. However, over the last month she had shown significant improvement. She had gained 40 pounds, was eating on her own, and the doctors were talking of releasing her to go home. The day before she died she was even walking again..something she hadn't done in months! It came as a huge shock to the family as well as the health care providers. But out of this tragic and sad event, some good did come out of it. After the funeral several of Kevin's family members talked to me and told me how they realized it was time for them to get back in church and start serving God more because they realized how short life really was; as Bev passed away at the age of 52. Also, out of this event, we got to spend quite a bit of time with Kevin's uncle and his family. Uncle Mark and his family live in Virginia so we don't see them except for Thanksgiving and New Year's. However, with this life changing event, we've spent quite a bit of time with them since the funeral and we've planned lots of events together for the near future which I am super ecstatic about!


Now for some cheerful news! Kevin and I celebrated our first anniversary on May 21st! I'll tell you more about it in a separate blog in a week or so when we return from our anniversary vacation!!(: I've also finished up my first year of teaching! It was absolutely wonderful and I couldn't have been more blessed with an amazing class. I hated to see all of my babies go and I even considered moving up and looping with them next year in 4th grade. However, after much contemplation, I decided to hang around in 3rd grade again next year. And is it sad to say that I've already started planning for next year and I've only been out for a week?! haha


Anyways, now that I've gotten you caught up on life's little events, I hope I can get back to blogging full time again. There are several other events that have occurred in the last month that I didn't mention but I'll be blogging about them separately. So keep coming back ladies and I should be here!


Have a great day and I should see you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you ladies always make my day, so please let me know you stopped by!