6.13.2013

Postpartum Workout

Before getting pregnant, I tried to make it to the gym at least three days a week. I'd usually do some cardio, hit a few weight machines, and take a workout class. When I found out I was pregnant, I was nervous about continuing my workout routine but my doctor assured me it would be fine considering my body was used to it. I knew she knew what she was talking about but it still worried me so I decided to cut back at the gym. In order to try to stay fit, I started walking three miles a day, three times a week. I kept this up until I was about six months pregnant. When I hit the six month mark, I started swelling pretty bad and was told to stay off of my feet. Unfortunately, this meant cutting out my workouts. So needless to say over the last three months of my pregnancy, the weight gain quickly started to rise. With that being the case, as soon as Harper arrived, I was ready to get back in shape.

The only problem was that I didn't have time to go to the gym so I had to start looking for alternatives. At our home, we don't have any workout equipment. We never had the need since Kevin and I both have gym memberships. However, we do have the INSANITY dvd's. Kevin and I have completed the INSANITY workouts twice before and they really do work. The only problem is they're about an hour long and if you stop in the middle of them, it's not as effective. And of course, with a newborn, just as soon as I start the workout, Harper needs to be tended to. So I had to come up with another solution. 

After spending a whole afternoon on pinterest looking up workouts, I finally settled on a few that I could adapt and do at home. It's been two weeks since I started working out regularly and I've seen a big difference in my post-preggo body. So I'd like to share my workout with you new mama's. Maybe it'll help you too!

Leg Circuit
20 squats
30 lunges
40 calf raises
50 second wall sit
100 jumping jacks
50 second wall sit
40 sumo squats
30 alternating leg raises
20 squats

Butt Circuit
20 alternating sliders
20 hip lifts
20 lunge kicks per leg
20 donkey kicks per leg
20 hydrant kicks per leg
20 booty kicks per leg
20 kneeling leg lifts per leg
20 hamstring curls

Ab Circuit
30 second plank
30 crunches
30 sit ups
30 Russian twists
30 V-crunches
30 bicycle crunches
30 alternating leg raises
30 side bends per side
30 second plank

Arm Circuit
10 pushups
20 arm circles (small forward)
20 arm circles (small backward)
10 dips
20 arm circles (large forward)
20 arm circles (large backward)
10 pushups


Each circuit takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes. I usually focus on two areas a day and try to get each circuit in three days a week. Though I feel better if I can get each in for five days a week. But as many of you know, life with a newborn doesn't allow much extra time (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you ladies always make my day, so please let me know you stopped by!