9.08.2010

Flying Airplanes!

When I was 15 years old, I got to fly my first plane! It was exhilarating! I can still feel that nervousness I had as I waited for the control tower to give me the go to get on the runway. I can remember racing down the runway & slowly pulling up! I was so nervous but after just a few short moments, I was up in the air flying over Winston-Salem! Then, I forgot everything!

Flying an airplane is absolutely the most amazing thing in the world. It's alot of work because there are so many things to remember and there are so many buttons and controls to constantly mess with as you fly, but still, its worth it! As you fly a plane, you feel so in control. You feel like you have all the power in the world. Plus, its so peaceful. It's wonderful to just fly around and look at everything below you. It's amazing how small things really are when you're 1000 ft off the ground! It's also amazing how everything seems to be in little squares. You don't notice that when you're on the ground.

Unfortunately, I haven't flown a plane in 3 years and I miss it. I didn't realize how much I missed it until Kevin and I watched the movie, "She's Out of My League". In that movie, he learns to fly planes and it reminded me of myself several years ago! So, I'm thinking I'm going to have to make a trip to Smith-Reynolds Airport and hop in a little Cessna and make my way down the runway! I'm pretty sure I can remember how to do it all. Taking off and landing are the easy parts! It's those floaters that are the trick!

(For those of you who don't know, a floater is when you shut down the plane's engine in the air, and the engine will stall. When that happens, you will literally float! It feels much like that first big drop on a rollercoaster.... it's an adrenaline rush!)


Here's some pics I took when I was flying several years ago!

clouds (:


a view of Winston Salem (:



See what I mean about how everything looks like squares?!


these are what I usually fly (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you ladies always make my day, so please let me know you stopped by!