1.31.2014

Snow Days & Firsts.

As you well know by now the south was hit with a snowstorm earlier this week. Thankfully here in North Carolina snow is pretty common and doesn't equate to such a natural disaster like it has been in Georgia. My prayers go out to all of the students, teachers, parents, and commuters who were and are still stranded due to the snow. 

It started snowing here around 8 Tuesday morning and by 9:30 schools were already closing and kids were being sent home. To a teacher that's the ideal way to have it done. As long as the kids arrive, you're counted as a full school day which means no make up day for us! However we will be making Wednesday through Friday up as the snow has kept us from returning to school this week. Bye bye spring break... though I'm still not complaining as I've had the luxury of being at home with Harper doodle. 

Over the last few days I've felt like I've been in heaven. It's been amazing to spend my time at home with Harper. Since having her tubes put in Monday she has become like a new kid! She's full of energy and all over the place. It's been amazing to watch the change in her and to see how she is responding so well to sounds that she can now hear.

Since being at home we've spent a fairly decent amount of time just playing in bed in the mornings. By fairly decent, I mean till almost lunch :P But with this little cutie, how could you not?! 

We've also experienced a couple of firsts. While feeding Harper Wednesday morning I decided to introduce her to water and a sippy cup. After every few bites I tried showing her how to wash her food down by drinking from her cup. To say she was facinated would be an understatement. I'm not sure if it was the bright pink cup, the fact that she could hold it by its handles, or that it had a different liquid in it than she was used to but she was obsessed! Unfortunately I never could get a picture of her holding it herself but here's a picture of her letting me do it... Silly girl! 

Along with introducing Harper to a sippy cup we also introduced her to sitting in a high chair at a restaurant. By last night I was developing cabin fever so Kevin & I headed to a Mexican restaurant with his dad and brother that's about a mile from our house. Unfortunately Harper's seat didn't fit in their high chairs so we had no choice but to take her out of her seat & have her try sitting in the high chair itself.  Needless to say we hadn't planned on that so we didn't have our high chair cover with us so we stuffed her blanket in the seat instead. It worked perfectly and she loved it. I'm pretty sure she loved it so much because she could reach everything on the table that she wanted. Knives, forks, and salsa for example! 

And since we're on the topic of firsts let me share two firsts for me before I go. Since having the last few days off I've had some time for myself while Harper has napped and it's been amazing! Time for me is few and far between these days. You moms know what I'm talking about. 

As Harper has napped in the mornings it's allowed me to take some time to sip some hot chocolate and do my devotions in the morning. It's been so nice to start my morning off with God instead of ending my day with Him. I've been reading the devotional Wife After God for the past few weeks and it's all I can do to not skip ahead and read the whole thing in one sitting. If you're married or will soon be married I highly encourage you to read it. It's truly changed my outlook on marriage and how I treat my husband. 

And last but not least, I've been able to truly get ready this week. Typically we're always on the go which doesn't allow me much time to get ready these days. Factor in a baby and I'm lucky if my clothes look half decent. But since being stuck at home, it's given me time to actually get ready from head to toe... Even with no where to go. & you know what ladies? It felt good! I was so excited that I had to document it with a photo haha 

How are you spending your snow days? Any firsts?! 

1 comment:

  1. I've been hearing amazing things about the Wife After God devotional. I think it's one I need to try! Just like Harper, Caleb is also using a sippy cup now, and has been sitting in high chairs and grocery carts. He loves it!!! Loving that you got some 'you' time and were able to get ready. I totally know how you feel. It's nice to be able to get pretty once in a while, even if you're not going anywhere in particular! Hope you have a good weekend, sweet girl:)

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you ladies always make my day, so please let me know you stopped by!