10.17.2016

On Being Content and Thankful



Good morning, ladies! I'm not sure how many of you are still around after I took a two month long break from blogging. But it's a break I was in desperate need of. You see, a few months back I stumbled across a quote that resonated with me. 

"The reason people struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel."

In the world of social media, this quote couldn't be more true.  Over the last several years, I've spent countless hours a day staring at a screen. Hours have been wasted scrolling through Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest wishing I had this or looked like that. All the while never realizing I was growing more and more discontent with the things in front of me. The very things I once prayed earnestly for or wished I had. But thankfully God got a hold of me and opened my eyes so that I could see how misguided my vision had become.

Over the last few months I've taken time to step back and re-evaluate. I stopped blogging, stopped reading blogs, spent less time on social media, stopped posting as often on my own social media accounts, and tried to regain focus. I'll be honest. It wasn't easy. It's hard breaking habits you've had for years. But it was worth it.

Over the last few months, God's helped me to have a life of more contentment and taught me how to be more appreciative of the things in front of me.  I've learned to not look at my closet each morning and say, "I have nothing to wear" but instead look for ways to reinvent the outfits I do have. I've learned that I don't need to have a new home to have the home I want but instead I can renovate and redecorate the one we have to make it look more like the home I envision. I've learned to cook new recipes in an effort to save money and in turn enjoy dinners around the table with family and friends. I've learned to say no to frivolous spending and in turn invest money in things that matter like family outings and vacations. But most of all, I'm learning to love the life that God gave me. The one that isn't so picture perfect or blog worthy; the one filled with anxiety, arguments, meltdowns and chaos. The one that speaks truth and doesn't just showcase the picture perfect reality.

So from here on out ladies, this blog is about to get real...



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you ladies always make my day, so please let me know you stopped by!